We are happy to host your wedding here at Halfmoon. We don’t offer packages – it’s a case of ‘here’s the garden, help yourself’. If you need a beautiful space in which to express yourself, then this is the place for you.
We have a magnificent old fig tree with a raised stage beneath it. Guests sitting (on hay bales) on the stage will have a splendid view of the happy couple and the Glass House mountains as a back drop. Our free range pony Angel, will probably join in the proceedings and is happy to hoover up any rose petal confetti (sometimes before the brides arrival!) Previous memorable weddings included one with a 1950’s theme where the bridal party arrived on Vespas; a surfing ceremony with VW procession, a Blues Brother, Anna Karenina and llama party (my favourite) and many traditional but rural celebrations.
The 2019 rates will include three nights of accommodation in the cottage and are as follows …….
20 x guests ___________$2,350
30 x guests ___________$3,200
40 x guests____________$4,050
50 x guests ____________$4,850
60 x guests ____________$5,650
70 x guests ____________$6,450.
Yes, smaller gatherings are proportionally slightly cheaper as they are far easier for us!
This covers taking hay bales down to the stage for your guests to sit on, mowing, gardening, transport down to the stage from the house in my vintage Morris Minor for any infirm rellies, wear and tear, electricity for your cool rooms, lighting, fridges, ovens etc, photos on the property (and with the horses if you like) Gillian on hand to greet and park your guests and bring them through the house and down the staircase to the gardens. It also covers use of the bathrooms for up to thirty-five people. Our sewage system can’t cope with more than this so you need to rent a Portaloo! It also goes towards the enormous Council fees that we have had to pay this year.
A wet weather back up plan is essential too. For weddings with less than forty guests that back up plan can be to hold the ceremony and reception, on the deck of the cottage. We have held many such events there and they work very well. We have had marquees on our flattest bit of lawn, that can seat around seventy guests. A new lawn has been added too – in front of the cottage. The rest of the grass is gently sloping so less suitable for tables and chairs. Nomadic style tents look lovely but don’t offer as much protection from the rain as a traditional marquee or a tipi. ‘Montville yurts’ are highly recommended as are ‘tipiluxe.’ All great people.
Weddings that work best here are either those with forty guests or fewer or (if there are many more) weddings where the ceremony is held at Halfmoon and the reception is held elsewhere. Then, if the weather is bad, the ceremony can also be held at the reception venue. Having said that, if the weather is nice then holding both the ceremony and reception here can work brilliantly.
We need to be aware of our neighbours so it is preferred that weddings in the gardens wind up by 10.30 pm as the sound really carries outside. If it can be heard at the top of the drive then it has to be turned down. (It can get pretty chilly up here in the mountains by that time of night too.) You are welcome to party all night at the cottage however!
You are welcome to use confetti and to bring your beloved pets.
For weddings with more than 50 guests I highly recommend a professional planner like those listed below. Our maximum guest numbers that we can cope with would be about 75.
Some useful contacts from previous events:
Wedding planners and stylists.
1. Jacinta and Scienta Hesse. www.styleleaisle.com.au Both of these girls are geniuses. They arrive with a van of goodies and in no time at all turn the gardens or marquee and even our tin shed into a grotto, a picnic, an antique shop, anything!
2. Also in the genius and exceptionally nice league would be…
1. www.somethingforcatering.com This company from Mooloolaba are very efficient, serve fabulous food and are delightful to deal with – highly recommended.
2. Maribelle’s Street food. Cute van – good food. www.maribellestreetfood.com.au
3. The Canapé Project M. 0432 503 282 E. firstname.lastname@example.org This chap (Matt Yurko) does fabulous food and at really reasonable rates. Unfortunately the guests don’t usually leave any yummy left overs for us…
4. Tinker Traveling Events. Gorgeous vintage caravan that functions as a mobile bar. www.tinkertravelling events.com
5. The Vintage Bondwood Bar. Also gorgeous. Great people. 0401 869 311
6. And another great one … Wilson Vintage Pop Up Bar – 1960’s Vintage Caravan Bar
0438 823 377
Marquee and tipi hire:
1. My favourites would have to be Stunning Nordic Tipis by Emma Bell at www.tipiluxe.com.au
2. I also love the gorgeous handmade Montville Yurts. 5442 9490 Great people to deal with and a relatively economical option. Their 10m yurt is HUGE because it has a large overhang.
3. Nomadic Tents Andrew Bazley www.nomadictentssunshinecoast.com.au
4. Conventional marquees Nev and Theresa Wessling Roselt www.smalleventspartyhire.com.au 0466 520 99
Lavatory hire :
call: 0404 313 424
Cassandra Neilson 0413 123 674 www.coastlinecelebrant.com.au
Suzanne Riley 0411 384 868 www.suzanneriley.com.au
Hair and Makeup:
Pennie is the best. Pennie Vlachos 0488 488 195 www.bridalhairbypennie.com.au
Classic car hire:
Patrick Herron has a beautiful old Bentley. www.privatetransfers.com.au
Matt Rowe. 07 5446 6702
Sheree McArthur www.shereemcarthurphotography.com
Adam Leggo. A talented Maleny local, finger style guitarist 0435 326 711
‘Soothing effects’ Catherine Chantler 0437 018 334
Shave specialist for grooms:
Vic Scafidi www.vicsgroomservice.com.au 0433 278 193
Alternative accomodation available locally:
1. My other house in town near our brewery Brouhaha! It is called Bedhaha and you can find it on Air BNB.
2. Gilandrea on Stayz.com This is a great big Victorian style house that accommodates at least a dozen and is very close to us.
3. Bridle Guest House Owned by my friend Helen. www.bridleguesthouse.com.au
4. Maringa Cottage – a convenient Air B n B situated at 504 Mountain View Road (corner of Currawong Drive), just a very short distance from us.
It’s owned by Christine Hinwood. Follow the link …… https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/18399492?location=Maleny&guests=2&s=D0Z54XCq
5. McCarthy Lake House
Owned by my friend Jennifer Perri, McCarthy Lake House
“Accommodation in Maleny’s Wedding Triangle”
69 McCarthy Rd, Maleny, QLD
Follow McCarthy Lake House on Google Plus Follow McCarthy Lake House on Facebook